Re: [TCML] laminations

neal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I know I'm probably getting into some basic physics here, but could someone
explain the purpose of multiple laminations in transformers and inductive
ballasts, vs. a solid core of iron/steel? Is a solid core good for any type of
ballast? Thanks,

Neal.

The magnetic field in the core induces voltages and associated currents in thecore material and these can cause significant "eddy current losses". [Just think of the core as a shorted turn and you'll get the idea.] By breaking the core up into many thin laminations [and insulating them from each other with oxide finish or varnish] the voltage induced in each is small enough that these losses are greatly reduced.

Ed