RE: [TCML] BPS Testing

Yup!

> >Beyond that, I seem to have been blessed with a 15/60 that's  endowed with
> super-NST
> >powers.
> <snip>
> >This must be why I'm able to use larger than typical cap values  (.02uF w/
> static, .04uF w/ SRSG).
>

> Well, that certainly makes *me* feel better! I've  been trying to duplicate
> your results, and with just one unmodified 15/60  Franceformer I got a lot of
> heartburn running a .04uF cap on a 120BPS SRSG. I  always had to add a 15/30 to
> get it to halfway work!
>     You mention on your Website that you bought  your NST used, and had to
> re-pot it. You also mention that the shunts  were impossible to remove (I know
> what you mean, I've got a bad 15/30  Jefferson with a one-piece core).  But you
> *don't* mention on  your Website what brand of 15/60 NST you've got! What is
> this wondrous  thing?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be secretive.  My 15/60 is also a Jefferson.  I initially cursed it when I found that I couldn't remove shunts, but all is since forgiven.

What happened when you tried .04uF with just your 15/60?  I would guess that the worst that would happen would be just a lower than optimal bang voltage.  But then odd stuff may happen when the cap to too much LTR...

> >The mains current, even with PFC caps, was close to 20  Amps.
>

> How much of that is reactive current?

I don't have a numerical answer, but I would guess not a lot, as I spent a fair bit of time determining that my 200uF of PCF caps was pretty much optimal.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA