RE: [TCML] Variac

Pushing 158V into a 120V NST may be a stretch.  I would not be worried about the secondary insulation breaking down (but not certain here!) quite as much as saturating the primary and drawing excessive current.  If you meter the primary current and don't see it soaring, I guess it's OK.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA