RE: [TCML] RF Filters

Aaah, OK.  While there is a resistor in the first schematic, it plays no role in the filtering; it's just there to bleed the caps in the filter so they can't hold a charge and zap someone.  It should be referred to as an L-C filter.  A Terry filter is an example of an R-C filter.

I would choose this filter over the second one, as it looks like it has several stages in it already.  More common EMI filters (like the one I use!) have fewer stages and presumably less attenuation.  Note in the chart how the attenuation drops off like a cliff below 100KHz!  I would doubt there's a lot to be gained by cascading two filters together.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA