From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of David Rieben
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:40 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] G-10 blistering

Hi Terry,

Wow, where did you locate 1/2" threaded aluminum bolts?
I suppose 1/2" aluminum round stock would also work.
How thin did you "slice" the aluminum bolt to make your
collars and how much of the flying electrode is left pro-
truding beyond your "collar"? My collars were for a 3/8"
shank (since my flying tungsten electrodes are 3/8" in dia-
meter) and are each 3/8" thick. Since they are also made
of aluminum, they don't add a tremendous amount of mass
to the flying electrodes but they only leave about 1/4" of
the 1 1/2" long electrodes protruding beyond the surface
of each collar, since my G-10 disc is 1/2" thick. If sparking
to the aluminum collars becomes a problem, I may have to
upgrade to longer tungsten flying electrodes. Of course this
would add considerable mass to the whirling disc, since tung-
sten has the same density as gold (19.3 gm/cc)! I beleieve
as long as I could keep it reasonably balanced, my 2.5 HP
variable speed DC treadmill motor could handle the addi-
tional load, though.

David