Re: [TCML] Are safety gaps necessary?

Actually, Terry's original RC filter experiment had no gaps at all, nor any MOVs.  It was just a couple of big resistors and a doorknob capacitor.  A safety gap wouldn't have made much sense, since the intent was simply to measure attenuation of spikes and RF.  I'd refer to the document on hot-streamer if I could, however as somebody pointed out in another thread, hot-streamer appears to be down right now :-(

I'd be a bit dubious of the value of *two* three-terminal gaps in a Terry-style filter.  It seems like the point of the MOVs was to cancel out some of the human and environmental factors from the gap setting.  If you don't use the MOVs, you're probably just as safe without anything on the transformer side of the filter capacitor(s).