Re: [TCML] Are safety gaps necessary?

Aaron, all,

Actually, I now use a single eared pig to drive my
Green Monster Tesla coil. For the "safety gap", I
use a 36 kV rated distribution arrester across the
"ear" and the case of the 14.4 kV pig. The pig is
sitting on a plywood deck inside the control panel
and is mounted via its two pole mount brackets
to wooden 2x4's that are set inside the control
panel as well. This allows the case of the pig to
"float" at RF ground inside the control panel w/
out allowing the mains grounded outer surface
of the control panel to ride on the RF. I simply
use high voltage x-ray cable for the transmission
line for the high voltage from the control panel to
the base of the Tesla tank circuit. Of course I run
the "hot" lead from the pig's single bushing through
the the inner conductors of the x-ray cable and run
the RF ground return via the outer braided sheathing
of the cable. There is also a thin plastic sleave over
the outer RF grounded mesh braiding of the cable
and this allows for  reasonable isolation of the RF
ground return from physical electrical contact with
the ground surface, although there are a few places
where it has "burned through", probably from direct
streamer/power arc hits from the coil :^0 I'm sure
there are some who would condemn this setup be-
cause of possible Blumlein effect voltage surges but
I have about a 50 ft. run of x-ray cable transmisison
line and I have never had an issue (that I can tell) with
this.

One time a few years ago, I ran it on a windy day
and the wind "blew" the streamers back into the
bottom of the secondary coil and into the primary tank
circuit. This caused the 18 kV rated distribution arrest-
er that I was using at that time to fail as a dead short
and that's the reason I now have a 36 kV rated arrester.
I think the pig is still safe since it's rated at 110 kV biL.
That tought me that even a pig driven system needs some
sort of primary circuit overvoltage protection as I dread
to think what may have happened to my pig or primary
cap had the distribution arrester not been in place on
that fateful windy day. Also, I do NOT run it anymore
outdoors (which is currently the only way that I can run
this monster) during excessively windy conditions!
Here is a short, poor quality video clip of it running
before I got all of the "bugs" out.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eWZD3M-nye8

--
David Rieben