Chesterfield, VA. USA
From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
Folks-
I was going over the rest of my SISG to see how many replacement SIDACs to order *this* time (note to self: buy stock in Littlefuse). Previously damaged sections either had both the IGBT and all the SIDACs blown, or recently just the SIDACs. So I had figured it was the SIDACs dying first that took out their IGBT. But this time I found a damaged section that had good SIDACs, but a blown IGBT! Even more significantly, the gate was still at a high resistance to the body, and I observed its capacitance charging up from the digital multimeter. But the emitter and collector were dead shorted! My guess is that this IGBT suffered from secondary breakdown. Does that make it an IGSS now? (Insulated Gate Silicon Shunt). All other components in that module appeared and measured perfectly fine, including the TVS's. Could this be the result of excessive pulsed current or overheating? (Note to self: buy stock in International Rectifier...) -Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

**************Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)