Re: [TCML] Toroid thickness effects

Hi Alex,

In general, larger major diameters provide more capacitance while  larger
minor diameter means a somewhat higher breakout voltage due to larger  radius of
curvature. Since your major diameters are so close, I think the 5  x 15 would
give you slightly better performance.

For a quick calc of a isolated toroid, (NOT Gospel) you can use:

C(in pf)=[1+(0.2781-d/D)]*2.8*SQRT{PI*[(D-d)*d/4]}

where D is the major diameter in inches and d is the minor diameter in
inches.

You can plot C by D by d in 3-D and get a feel for how the proportions
interact even with the primitive plotting tools in Excel.

Unfortunately, there isn't a quick & dirty calculation of hold-off  voltage
vs D & d, although I'll bet someone on the list probably has done  it.

Hope this helps
Matt D.