Re: [TCML] NST's and ARSG's

Gary,

I think what the poster may have meant was that his gap runs at  something
close to
a multiple of 60Hz.  If this is the case, then the gap will slowly (or
quickly)
drift into phase and out of phase with the incoming 60Hz AC.  The  spark
output will pulse, with the sparks stopping, then growing longer, then
shorter,
then stopping again and repeating this action over and over.  This  effect
can also
be reproduced with any variable speed rotary gap by adjusting the rpm  just
right.  The cure is to change the motor speed somewhat.   Sometimes just
supplying a higher or lower voltage to the motor will fix the problem (in  the
case of induction motors).

Cheers,
John

In a message dated 6/11/2008 8:36:16 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

I didn't  follow:
> it was firing every time the gap came into phase
An async  gap fires at random phase.  And:

> maybe I shoudn't have been  running in the air
?

Running with a smaller than resonant cap may be  a problem unless you're very
sure that the break rate never got too  low.

Regards, Gary Lau