Re: [TCML] comments on designing a lightning protection system

> That sounds like the most "adequate" or  "economical", not the "best".
>  And I haven't seen in any of the links below  where "the load" is
> defined. How can you engineer a lightning protection  system if you don't
> define the parameters of lightning?
     That's in textboooks and professional papers.
     People have been analyzing and collecting volt/current/freq
     data for 100 years.

> It would seem that a  truly professional installation
> would include statistical data about  historical lightning in the area,
    It does.  Hunt for word isokeraunic, if memory serves.
    Threat levels are well mapped.

> and what level of lightning the system would  be designed to protect
> against (to what degree).
    Standards documents present 'what will work'.
    'why' is different set of documents.
    (likely on the web, but not in the standards.)

   To get a sense of the beginnings, try
      Lightning Conductors and Guards
      Oliver Lodge
   downloadable free off google books, other sources.

   For more recent, including semitech popularizations,
   one authour is
      Uman
   there are others.  Whole libraries are filled with data.

   (Gently:
     Are we getting a bit away from Tesla Coils?
     There are lightning specific lists....)

    best
     dwp