RE: [TCML] RE: Need assistance in diagnosing poor performance

I disagree with a couple of the points made below.

In comparing operation between static and SRSG's, the bang size with a static gap is actually more consistent with varying mains voltage, as the gap breakdown voltage is governed by the gap geometry and is not significantly affected by mains voltage.  In a rotary gap, the bang size is directly related to mains voltage.  Bang RATE is certainly more constant with a SRSG.  But for both gaps types, streamer power and length (and secondary detuning) will BOTH equally be a function of input voltage.

If the goal is to keep things simple, a static gap seems more in line.  My static gaps all worked right off, but it took me several attempts and a couple years before I got SRSG's right.  Tweaking the phase and getting the cap size optimized was not trivial and definitely more complex that using a static gap.

I agree that streamers can significantly affect tuning, but as Steve's streamers are only 3" at this point, I don't think it is at all significant.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA