Re: [TCML] Disassebling a huge transformer

In a message dated 7/21/08 10:09:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bamacoiler@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>My question is Does anyone know of a good way

>to get the I seperated from the E.  The I section is bolted  together with

>threaded rod.  At the top where the E and I meet the  laminations are

>interleaved together.

    Take out all the shims and spacers between the  core and the windings.
Take a sharp chisel to an outside corner to split off  the first lamination.
Bend the "E" forward a little to gain clearance to pull  the "I" out. Flip the
core upside down and free the legs of the "E" on the  other side. If you're
lucky, you'll be able to remove the first "E" without  having to destroy the
windings. Once the first "E" is out, it's downhill from  there.
    If you wreck a few laminations, no worries  because you have more than
enough as spares.
    If you remove only the "I"s from top and bottom,  you should have *more*
than enough to put them together as a single "I" core  of sufficient
cross-sectional area.
    Depending on the transformer's original ratings  you may be able to
salvage and reuse the original windings, even if you have  to rewind them in series
or parallel (or triple-parallel, etc.).

> Should I simply cut the I section

>off?  Are there any good methods for  this?
    I've done my share of core-sawing, and it's not  fun. Not good for the
saw blades, either. I'd strongly consider a cutoff wheel  on a high-speed
grinder. Take your time, and expect it to take a lot of time,  but the results will
be much safer and prettier than sawing.
    Do you have access to a waterjet machine? It might  be worth your while.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.