Re: [TCML] primary material? (interview)

Hi Nicholas,

We went through some Al versus Cu losses (theory and test) not too long ago. For equivalent aluminum, go up 2 sizes in awg. For the primary, I don't see any problem with staying with the same economical and available 1/4" or 0.375" tubing. The losses are small. If there was a long length of same small Al wire in an RF application, then I might have a concern about increasing the conductor size, but for small lengths the losses are small.

With that said, if one can afford a copper primary, then certainly, that would be the best lowest loss approach. But as you are looking toward alternatives and lower costs, an aluminum primary would be one of the alternatives.

Take care,
Bart

John Matok wrote:
What affect would aluminum have on my performance?  If it's cheaper, why
wouldn't everyone use it?

Nicholas