Re: [TCML] MMC pics

Nicholas,

Big problems. The solder side series string is being staggered in sections of 3 on a square perf board. Your leads are far too close together between "most" sections. If you fire it up like this, your going to get arcing between the sections. Think of this: If you have 12 caps in series and say 12kV across the cap bank, then there will be 3kV across each 3 cap section in your circuit. Another 3kV on the next section, etc. The area with the bottom red and green circles will have 6kV across those 2 very near leads. However, the middle caps leads of those 2 sections are even closer. That's probably the main arcing spot.

You need to keep some distance. This square board isn't going to help you much. You would be better off with a caps side by side in a single run. Long perf board versus a square one.

I know it sucks to hear that after you've soldered all the leads, but it is what it is.

Take care,
Bart

Nicholas J. Goble wrote:
Here are some pics of my recently soldered MMC (top and bottom). I'm just posting them because I just finished and I finally may have something to brag about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28523883@N06/2659423434/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28523883@N06/2659423450/in/photostream/

Hope these links work!

Nicholas Goble