Re: [TCML] RE: Winding the primary

Hi Gary,

Nice and aesthetically pleasing coil. I assume that you're
NOT using a strike ring with your newer 2-layer primary?
IIRC, you were one the main proponents of the idea that
a strike ring was not really necessary. The physics would
seem to back up your thoughts on this issue but I think
many coilers just don't like the idea of the output sparks
power arcing directly to the primary coil. In my personal
experience, I once fired my coil outdoors on a windy day
and the wind blew one of the power arcs back into the
lower end of the SECONDARY coil, in spite of a well
placed and RF grounded strike ring. Good thing I had
a decent safety gap (actually an 18 kV rated distribution
arrester) in place across the output of my pole pig trans-
former as the arrester failed as a dead short! At first I
feared that my pig or my primary capacitor had bit the
dust but isolation showed the arrester to be the culprit.
Glad the arrester sacrificed itself over the transformer
or the capacitor as it was much cheaper to replace.

BTW, I use sufficinetly rated arresters in place of a
physical safety gap because when running coils in the
multi-kVA power range, I've always had trouble with
resultant arc not extinguishing once the safety gap fired.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 7:31 AM
Subject: [TCML] RE: Winding the primary

What is the nature of your standoffs? I've heard some struggle with primary supports that were actually a series of holes through plastic plates, and they were trying to thread the tubing THROUGH the holes. A sure way to go crazy and make a mess!

Primary supports are typically combs - a series of slots that the tubing simply drops into. See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/primary.htm. Is this similar to what you have?

BTW, in my response to the post asking about what kind of hardware to fasten the supports with, I assumed that this was to attach the supports to the underlying base plate, and metal screws are fine there. I later realized that I also use nylon screws to fasten hold-down strips to the tops of the combs (see photos in above link), as the heads straddle two primary turns and could promote a short between adjacent turns. There's nothing mysterious or insidious about using metal hardware near the primary or secondary. One just needs to exercise common sense about not putting conductive things where they may create an unintentional short.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA