Re: [TCML] My last question on caps. I swear. (maybe)

Hi Nicholas,

The DC rating is what we use for these circuits. It's a pulse application. It does ring at the resonant frequency of the coil at discharge and until the gap quenches. For all practical purposes however, the DC rating is what you want to look at for Tesla Coil caps.

The 9/30 using .0124uF is LTR at 1.5 x Cres which is fine. 12 caps will get you .0125uF at a 24kV rating. This is fine, but you may want to add that extra 13th cap just for the sake of increasing the standoff voltage a little higher (unless your superstitious about the number 13 of course).

.15MFD = .15uF, this is typical. What would really throw you off is if you see the MMFD after a value. This is micro-micro-farad (a millionth of a millionth of a farad = pF). But yes, .15MFD is the correct cap that most of us use. GOOD CAPS that have a lot of Tesla Coil abuse under their belt.

Take care,
Bart

Nicholas J. Goble wrote:
With a 9/30 NST I found my LTR capacitance to be .0124uF. (right?). I placed an order for 13 (1 more just in case I need an extra) 942C20P15K-F caps. They're rated at 2000VDC and .15uF. If I string them together in series, I'll get an MMC at 24000 Volts and .0125uF. Two things worry me.

1). The website says that it's rated for 2000VDC. I'm not using direct current. There's a link to a data sheet for the caps and it says that the voltage range is 600-2000 VDC or 300-500 VAC. If I series 12 of these together, will I get an MMC rated at 24000 VDC and only 6000VAC? Does this mean that I've got to string 48 caps to get an MMC that will work at 24000VAC? Or will 12 2000VDC caps work just fine?

2). The website shows a picture of the caps. On the side of the caps, it says it's rated .15MFD. Why would it say that? I thought 942C20P15K-F caps were rated at .15uF. This isn't a huge concern of mine, but it's making me worry about my purchase.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Nicholas Goble