From: Kris Grillo <kristianisawesome@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TCML] I think I ruined my 6" secondary.
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, June 30, 2008, 8:08 PM

I hand wound a 6" acrylic form with 22 gauge a few months ago. It
wasn't the greatest winding job I had ever done. There were a few turns
that were a little loose, but over all, turned out pretty damn good for not
building a jig. I started coating it with poly and once I got about 10 coats on
it I noticed it was kind of getting a little rough from dust and whatnot, so I
grabbed a piece of 400 grit sand paper and gave it a light once over and began
coating it again. Thats when I noticed that I had sanded the insulation off in
some spots on a few of the loose turns. There are maybe 3 or 4 of these spots
on the bottom of the coil and 4 or 5 spots in random places along the entire
length. I was so bummed about it that I shelved the project and haven't
given it much thought since.

I have since finished two other smaller coils
 and would like to work on this one again, but the secondary makes me nervous.
I was thinking of putting about 100 coats of poly on it and keeping my fingers
crossed. I was hoping to put around 4KVA through it. Has this ever happened to
anyone else? Is this secondary salvageable or should I scrap it and save up for
another acrylic form and a new spool of 22 gauge (might be awhile, I'm broke
at the moment)?  Any suggestions?

~Kris