Re: [TCML] Baffle tally (was Secondary Troubles)

I used 2 baffles near the ends in a 6" coil and a couple of 4" coils.  The magnet wire on the outside, top & bottom, extends a couple of inches past the baffles.  On one 4" coil, I used no baffles.  None of the coils have suffered internal breakdown.  All were wound on PVC pipe.

Years ago I found some big sheets of clear, 1/4" Plexiglas that were being thrown away at work.  I rescued these from the dumpster, and they have become my lifetime supply.

I draw circles on the plastic using a compass and cut them out a little oversize with a jigsaw and a fine-toothed scrolling blade.  Next, I drill a small center hole (neatly located by the compass stylus), insert a bolt and nuts, chuck the thing into a drill, and spin it against a sanding block for a perfect press-fit in the PVC form (sigh--the stuff us non-machinists must endure to get by). Finally, I seal the edges and the center hole with lots of clear, 100% silicone caulk.

None of my coils, baffled or otherwise, have suffered carbon tracking.  I don't know if the baffles help or not.  Even so, if I invest several hours in a new secondary, I'm not going to worry about an extra 30 minutes making baffles.  I'm putting them in there--just in case.

Greg