Re: [TCML] DUMB QUESTION OF THE DAY

Ed,
The easiest way is to copper plate them, I have copper plated many coins, they plate well. As for the tungsten I am told it is very possible, others on the list will verify. Use distilled water, copper sulfate, a little sulfuric acid and a tiny bit of ammonia. Add a very small pinch of sodium carbonate if you wish. 3-12 volts DC, the cathode hooks up to the coin, the anode is a copper wire. If you cannot get copper sulfate immediately, magnesium sulfate will work just fine if you let it go a while to get rid of the magnesium and turn the solution blue. When you get a decent layer, soldering should be easy. You could also tap a hole in the dime, and put threads on your tungsten, but that would mean actual work. you could also try soldering them as is, maybe it is not that hard (just use flux). Let me know how it goes.

Scott Bogard."

	OK, I'll give the copper plating a try as I have all the ingredients and it's easy enough to do.  By coincidence I have about half of a 50 pound back of copper sulphate I bought many years ago for experiments with gravity cells.  As for flux, I tried several different kinds and couldn't get any of them to help wet the tungsten.

Ed