Re: [TCML] Thyratron

Yes, I made one many years ago.  We were only able to operate at 15-20 pps
max.  I used it mainly to operate at 1 pulse every 10 sec to test the
voltage output of a coil.  The single shot pulse mode provides a spark
length that is accurate for direct measurement of a coils output
potential.  This mode typidally produces a spark to a ground ball that is
1/4 the length of a normal "growing" spark typical of a high rep rate coil
operation.

It used a National 7703 ignitron with a 2.5 kV trigger --- 2 uF cap in the
trigger circuit.

Dr. Resonance

> The recent trigitron coil question has got me
> wondering:  Has anyone ever built, seen, or even heard
> about a successful disruptive tesla coil using a
> thyratron tube or tubes in place of the spark gap?  If
> so, kindly share what you know.  A link will be most
> appreciated.
>
> Happy New Year,
>
> Greg

Dr. Resonance