Re: [TCML] Tesla coil advice

Ok.

Something else I thought of. It might be your paper on the K factors used an older version of John's equation and maybe I am using a newer version which is a little more aggressive. Maybe check to see exactly which equation was used to determine the K factors. Your paper doesn't give any detail as to the John's equation, expect that it is based on Johns' work.

Take care,
Bart

resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Let me do some more experiments this summer and then I will have a better
answer.

DC

Hi DC,

3 to 8 inch should not be off by 0.65. I understand not everyone
achieves the stated length for several reasons, but 0.65 in this range
seems really strange. Maybe getting back to John's original 1.4 x
sqrt(W) equation. The small coils I was talking about are these little
1" and 2" diameters types as is the size of Ben's coil who posted this
thread.

In the transformer section of Javatc, there is a spark length output.
These values are John Freau's equation with your K factors added (I
believe using John's last 1.7 x sqrt(W) value. Your K factor is 0.85 for
10" and below. I think maybe we should further look at adding K factors
for coils of small diameter. Have any thoughts on that?

Take care,
Bart

resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yes, the 3-8 inch dia size.