Re: [TCML] using smaller caps

Hi Clive,

The recommended value is LTR for a static gap, so I assume that is what you'll be using. With that said, the static gap is self limiting on the voltage. If the cap is charged quickly, the bps will climb, but the voltage should "on average" not exceed it's breakdown setting. However, if something goes wrong (say an electrode freaks and pops off), well then bad things can happen and the transformer is at risk, or say if there are missed firings, the cap can be charged to a high voltage with the same results. The gap setting is important on the static gap to ensure it doesn't exceed a breakdown voltage greater than the transformer output. It's also necessary to ensure a backup is used in the event of some failure (safety gap).

If the cap is really small, you may not get much out of it. Many coils run STR. NST coils however are so easily damaged that much emphasis goes into protecting them, including the recommendation of a Terry Filter, running LTR, and staying away from resonance.

I think you'll be ok if you set the gap to the transformer. But, I haven't ran STR on an NST, so take that into account. It will be interesting to hear what others think.

Take care,
Bart

Clive Hansen wrote:
Hello All,
Is it okay to run a coil with a cap of low capacitance? I am using a 15kv 450va supply and JAVATC says a 5.5nf cap will resonate and a 7.4nf cap would be ideal. I have a cap made from tin foil covering overhead transparency sheets which I do not know the capacitance of. I assume it is quite low, and I know it is good at 30kv. Will running the coil with this small cap risk damaging the nst? I assume the streamers will be much shorter in length, but it is a small coil (3.5 inch diameter), and I just want to demonstrate the concept to a friend. Also, I am considering building a party cup cap with HDPE disposable party cups and foil. Does anyone have experience with this or a formula for calculating the capacitance of this type of cap?

Thanks,
Clive