From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Dave Halliday
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:23 AM
To: 'Tesla Coil Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [TCML] Teaching Coiling

I think that the difference between teaching or pedagogy and this email
list
is that pedagogy seeks to convey a fixed set of facts whereas the format
of
this list allows for (and welcomes!) large quantities of disruption.

How would a teacher of classic Tesla Coils deal with the introduction of
MMCs halfway through their curriculum?

The list looked, debated, scoffed, looked again and started hoovering up
CDE
942 caps like crazy.

How would a teacher of classic Tesla Coils deal with the introduction of
Solid State TCs halfway through their curriculum?

Again, the list looked, debated, scoffed, looked again and some of them
built, the others recognized a viable path but stayed with the classic
designs (PLEASE NOTE: This is a path taken in the woods and _not_ a
schism)

There is a lot of basic physics and math that is common to all designs
but
to promote one stream of information conveying "the way" to build a coil
smacks of top-down nanny-state cultural marxism and will result in:

#1) - much less innovation and
#2) - much more frustration

Talk with you later!
Dave (who dropped out of college to learn)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2/22/2008
9:21 AM