Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gap

Mistakes many experimenters make with rotaries is:

(1) electrodes too small (they get red hot and destroy quenching)

(2) poor heat sink material and not enough of it to hold and heatsink the
stationary electrodes.

I use 1 x 1 x 1 inch brass holders on all small coils and 2x2x2 inch brass
holders on all coils above 4.5 kVA.  I also use 1/2 inch dia brass rod for
the heatsink on the small coils and always 1 inch dia brass rod with
matching 1" dia electrodes on the big rotaries.

If you fail to properly quench your performance always suffers.  To much
energy gets back into the pri and then can't get back into the sec for
efficient ringdown.

Dr. Resonance

I would love to see the data which supports that statement. I've built
poor and good rotary's, poor and good static gaps. Gaps are not so easy
to quantify and highly "power" related.

Bart

Henry Hallam wrote:
Among other things, the propeller gap is better at quenching (shutting
off the spark), especially at high power.

Henry

Rich Schmuke wrote:
I am going to ask a simple question but please give a simple answer.
I am
not a EE just a builder. I was asking about a rotor gap the other day
and it
was suggested I try a propeller gap for my 200ma coil. Well I have a
motor
from a 8" hard drive now and am going to build a mount as soon as it
is warm
enough to get to my shed. My question is why is a propeller at 3600 RPM
better than a RQ copper tube gap?  60 cycle RQ  vs a 3600RPM it's the
same
break rate I think.

Rich

Dr. Resonance