RE: [TCML] Spark gap

It was after reading a paper published by Terry Fritz that I first came to the opinion that multi-segment gaps have higher losses despite offering better quenching.  See http://www.hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/sgap/sgap.html.  Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but it looks to me like the peak secondary voltage is significantly higher in the single-gap cases when the coupling is in the region where we typically use it.  And independent to that, I'm pretty sure that I've read that spark gaps are similar to zener diodes, in that they exhibit a near-fixed on-voltage independent of gap width.  (This is where Bert Hickman usually chimes in...)

There is no doubt that multi-gaps exhibit superior quenching over single-gaps, but contrary to what is often repeated on this list, quenching is not the primary determinant of gap performance.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA