Re: [TCML] How about some Tesla Coiling?

Ed,
I got your post and separate pictures also - excellent.  The vibrating coil is charging and discharging a cap - same principle in many ways.  The only real difference is the amount of wire necessary in the coils.
Very nice!
Jeff Behary"

	Thanks.  Hardly "old technology" but still fun to play with.  Ever since I got a copy of Curtis many years ago I've thought of making a big kicker coil per his description.  You may or may not be aware that during the WW1 era similar arrangements were used for moderate power [~100 watts or so] "wireless" transmitters.  Some were called "buzzer transmitters" but same general principal except that in this case the oscillation circuit was tuned for the desired radio frequency.  There was one version using a rotating switch which the Navy had in production at one time and I have a paper on it somewhere.  On a very low power level the use of buzzers for RF signal generators to tune receivers was also common and I've built several over the years just to play with them and observe the waveforms on a scope.  Simple and effective even when working from a circuit using two or three dry cells.  I have a General Radio Model 174-B "wavemeter" made about 1924 which has a buzzer to permit use of the same tuned circuits for signal generation.  Hot-wire galvanometer and crystal detector provided for receiving and frequency measurement and internal battery and high-tone buzzer for signal generation.  It's an anachronism as the calibration is still in wavelength even at that late date.

	I really enjoy all of the material you've assembled and admire your ambition and workmanship for all of the neat stuff you've built.  Just wish I had the space and time for similar activity here as I get a lot of pleasure out of resurrecting old principles and observing that things that worked more than 100 years ago still work and produce useful results.  As a ham radio operator and collector of old radio stuff my interests tend more toward that end of things but ever since my childhood days arcs and sparks have had a fascination of their own.....................

Regards,

Ed