Re: New list? Was Re: [TCML] Threadkill -- RQ Non-coiling stuff

Hi Chip, Gary, All,

    Looking back on the TCML emails since 2000, it  doesn't seem that there
would be significant "fracturing of the membership". For  the following reasons:

1) Those actively promoting the kinds of threads that have been killed  here,
have, for the most part, stayed with the list in spite of having been  shut
down on certain issues. I don't think that having a common place  to continue
these particular discussions would involve a permanent leaving.  This is still
the best place for vital solid information.

2) Those actively promoting the kinds of threads that have been killed here
have never been more than about 5% of the total contributors with maybe an
equal number of "sympathizers", so even if there were an unlikely "spite
bailout", it would have no effect on 90% of the list.

3) If some were to leave and at some later time discover something really
significant, human nature dictates that they would want to make it known to the
largest possible venue of coilers, and that's here.

Thus, I see minimal negative consequences of the alternate venue for OT
discussions, and several of positives.

Matt D.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:32:19 -0700 (MST), "Chip  Atkinson"
<chip@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Yep, Gary's right.  I  think I'm going to let someone else set up and run
> another list/forum  for non-coiling type talk.  I just don't have the time
> and want  to preserve the bandwidth that I have.
>
> It would be  nice to know what ends up happening so we the moderators can
> just say  "this discussion should be moved to <whatever that list will
>  be>.
>
> Chip
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Lau, Gary  wrote:
>
> > I couldn't agree more!  But as Chip is  unlikely to be involved in a
> > Tesla_gossip_and_hero_worship forum,  it doesn't seem that he would be
> > the one to suggest a specific  venue.
> >
> > As far as fracturing the membership, I think  splitting between the
> > science-based on the current TCML and all  else that would be rejected
> > here on the new forum makes sense and  is what everyone wants.

48)