RE: [TCML] Double-layer secondary coil

One should take reports of a 10% spark improvement with a grain of salt.  In my experience, measuring sparks is highly subjective.  Even if nothing is changed, if I measured the best spark length on a coil, turned it off, then tried to repeat the measurement, a 10% or more deviation is not surprising.  This is one of the things that makes our task so challenging!

Adding a second layer on top of a secondary winding should not significantly alter its inductance - it would only reduce the DC resistance by about half.  The inductance would only be reduced if the two layers were not coupled to each other.  While a 50% resistance reduction may sound like a significant benefit, it's important to also consider the relative magnitude of the load (streamer) impedance.  Don't quote me on this, but I think the equivalent modeled streamer impedance turns out to be something like 150KOhms in series with a few pF per foot of streamer length, to ground.  So if your secondary coil has a resistance of 500 Ohms and you have the opportunity to reduce that to 250 Ohms, the fact that it's driving a MUCH higher load impedance means that the reduction in losses will be negligible.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA