Re: [TCML] MOT Measurements

I wrote:
I think in cases of failed transformers in TC circuits, the common failure mode is when the secondary winding sees a transient voltage, arcs to a neighboring turn, and shorts. If this was the case on the original failed transformer, then you should see a burned area on the outer secondary winding, which points to transients as the catalyst.
There is also another possibility. Ferro-resonance. Considering that we switch hard all the time, there can be the case when the capacitive load and transformer impedance react with each other causing excessive voltages that the winding insulation of the transformer may not be able to withstand. I don't think we will ever know which cause is most likely, but due to the switching we are performing, ferro-resonance cannot be ruled out and would also likely fail in the same mode.

Bart