Re: [TCML] BRISG Coil

Christopher

Brisg means BRIck SisG tesla coil.
It semed like the obvious thing to do, having worked with OLTC coils when the SISG came along. A BRISG has a big power IGBT, I used a CM600, which is insanely overdriven, pulsing up to 4500amps. It is a tesla coil taken to the other extreme: low voltage, high tank capacitance, low tank inductance, solid state "spark gap". I seem to be only person on earth liking them, -they are not efficient- but they have one good feature, putting them above the DRSSTC`s: They don`t blow up too often for no apparent reason. The Brisg was superseded in short order, by the T-BRISG, my ticket to fame, or so I thought.
But, frankly, nobody seem to care.
I am still the only guy on earth having a triggered SISG and BRISG, even though it allows me the luxury of controlled breakrates and pure DC resonant charging.

I am sorry about the confusion caused by the title of that video, I have edited it. What you see is simply the only coil of it`s kind, making the longest spark it is capable of.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Christopher Karr skrev:
Hello, everyone,

I read about a BRISG coil in a previous post, and 'googled' it. I came up with an old, archived TCML article that referred me to drsstc.com and the 'Piranha' series of Tesla Coils (not sure if it belongs to anybody on-list). I also found a video on youtube that stated that the BRISG coil took the world-record for coil dimensions vs. streamer-length. Here's the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK17-CoB7LE

I read the comments, and it turns out the coil belongs to Finn Hammer.

I was wondering what the differences between BRISGs and SISGs are.

Thank you for your time,
                      - Christopher