Re: [TCML] Flat strip primary inductance

The inductance of a flat strip coil is significantly lower
than that of a round conductor wound along the same path.

An example - a coil we modeled a few months ago would have
had 29uH with round wire and only 19uH with a 5cm wide strip.

The NBS formula was found to be quite accurate.

The flat conductor can be modeled rather well by representing
it as a bundle of round conductors all connected in parallel.
That means working out the L of each 'filament', and the M
between each pair of filaments, and putting it all together
into a parallel network to calculate the overall L.

The 5cm strip above, when modeled with just four filaments
spaced across the width of the strip, gave a prediction of
18.9 uH.  So, you don't need a huge number of filaments in
the model.

None of our TC calculators take proper account of flat
conductors at the moment.  I think it would be possible to
alter JavaTC to model such primary coils by the above method,
but for now, you have to use a separate calculation such as
the one provided by Bart.
--
Paul Nicholson