Re: [TCML] voltage divider

Hey Jay..

I suppose you mean measuring the streamer voltage... unfortunately, trying to devise a voltage divider for such a magnitude of electricity is a mute point with standard resistors. What you would end up making is a huge multi gapped spark leader. The streamer would just jump across each of the resistors to the leads, pretty much ignoring the resistive portion of the resistors. Attempts have been made by using tubes of water or other fluids of known resistance to create voltage dividers ( I think someone did manage to create a working model).

Scot D

jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

hey I was wondering if it was possible to make a voltage divider capable to measuring the voltage from a medium sized tesla coil...with resistors from say radio shack.

i found some information online and everyone seemes to be using  about 10 of those huge high power resistors.  What if I used like a hundred normal resistors? since i can buy alot for really cheap from a friend.

just wondering

thanks,
Jay Howson