Re: [TCML] What's up with Copper Prices for coils?

Gregory,

This subject seems to be on-topic to me, since we all need to
buy copper wire for our coils.

I think the sellers that presently hold copper wire may have bought
it at higher prices.  So they want to re-coup their costs and
make some profit.

I've bought spools of copper wire at non-ferrous metals
scrapyards at times and I paid very low prices.  This is because
when buying wire at a scrapyard, you pay only for the copper,
not for the effort expended by the manufacturer to form
the copper into wire and insulate it and wind it onto a spool,
etc.

In any case a large portion of the cost of copper wire is
for the processing of the copper.  This cost is added to
the actual cost of the copper.

Another factor is that the retail price of newly purchased
copper is much higher than scrap copper prices.

John
----