RE: [TCML] TC Newbie

Hello, wavetuner,

I've read from sites that have shown experiments with plastic 2-liter soda bottles. The dielectric, generally, was too thin and there was a great deal of punch-through. The best method of keeping punch-through to a minimum was to let a bath of lye/water solution be the outside plate and the same lye solution for the inside plate. Since it isn't an acid, it had slower corrosion rate. Since the whole thing was immersed in a bath of lye, cooling wasn't an issue. But, still, I believe that dielectric breakdown was a major problem.

The only real thing that I have to say is...try it. You don't have to use an outer electrolyte for the outer plate, but it helps to make it a bit less lossy and much more simple to set up, from my experience, although others would disagree.

Also, please post your results on the mailing list, as I'm interested in this because I've been wanting to try it.

P.S. I strongly advise against using lye! It's corrosive and will damage nearly anything!
(See the movie "Fight Club" for more information)