To: "Tesla Pupman List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 7:49 PM
Subject: [TCML] HV capacitors wanted

Hello, please forget about the whole Chrishitstopher thing, as I was making a new email address and I didn't want a recognizable name.

I have built the saltwater capacitors, before, and they were very inefficient, because I used aluminum foil rather than the saltwater for the outer dielectric. My dad told me that he didn't feel comfortable with me having high voltages running in saltwater, so I couldn't build the more efficient capacitor design. I may try it, soon, anyways, out of desperation.

Anyways, I was hoping for some better capacitors that are made for high voltage by a company so that the losses are at a minimum with a small package size.

Hi Chrishitstopher (?),

Before discussing capacitor specifics, we need to be clear on the transformer configuration.

OBIT's are typically 10kV @23mA, midpoint-grounded. If you're planning on wiring the secondaries in series to achieve 20kV, it won't work. The fact that the secondary midpoints are tied to the case thwarts that plan, and there's nothing one can do to get around it. Instead, tie the secondaries in parallel to achieve 10kV @46mA. It will still process the same amount of power, but won't fry the OBIT's.

The cap size for a 10/46 power supply, assuming you have 60 Hz power and a static gap, is between 15 & 20 nF.

If money is short, a salt water cap is the cheapest and most reliable route. I've personally not ever built one, but I understand that a 12 oz beer bottle is good for about 0.9nF each (but YMMV).

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA