Re: [TCML] Salient Pole Query

Greg,

My understanding was that the dead poles they are talking about in
the article are part of the stator.  (although I may have read the
article too quickly.)  These dead areas are the few areas where
no wires are threaded through the stator. Their goal is to match the width
of the flats to those areas.  It's possible I mis-understood the article
and they may be refering to an armature with a wound armature.
I can see how in that case it would be important not to grind
through the wires.  It was a number of years ago that I last
looked at that article.  (Guess I should have reviewed the article  :)

In the typical motors that most of us use for or rotary gaps,
there are often no areas that are free of wires in the stator,
so I just ignore the dead pole concept.

Actually since there are start and run windings, it would make
sense (maybe?) to adjust the flat width to the width of the areas where stator
run windings are threaded, and ignore the start windings.  Often
it's very difficult to see these windings properly, so I just ignore
the dead pole concept.

Regarding the armature (or squirrel cage rotor), I agree it's just
laminations with embedded cast aluminum, and it makes no
difference where the flats are ground as long as they're 90
degrees apart for a 4 pole motor.

I think that article has caused a lot of confusion for sync gap
builders.  This is why I just suggest to folks that they grind
the flats to be 1/4 the dia. of the armature in width.

John