From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of dr.hankenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:15 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] SRSG's Helping them to synch up, was;new video -
feedbackwelcome

I had the same problem with my modified "1725 RPM" 3phase 1/2hp motor on
Zotzilla...Not sure if I machined too much off of the rotor. The problem
became more pronounced after I changed out the rotating electrodes from
brass to much heavier tungsten. I suppose the additional "load" of the
heavier tungsten electrodes caused the rotor to lag somewhat causing
"slip" of the rotor. I noticed high current surges or pulses as the
rotor was trying to lock up. I ended up bolting a box to the RSG frame
which houses a "boost" xfmr and a DC relay with a large electrolytic.
The boost xfmr/relay/electrolytic combination provide about 2 seconds of
280VAC to help start the motor. The motor load current actually exceeds
the nameplate rating until the relay drops off; then restores to normal
FL rating at 240VAC. Turning the motor start/stop switch on and off when
the motor reaches near synchronous may also help lock it in. I have not
tried the phase shifter because my motor has rubber mounts wh
 ich allows me to change the "timing" on the fly, kind of like an old
car with a conventional distributor...works well.

Picture of my RSG setup:
http://www.audiotesla.org/images/Zotzilla%20Pictures/zotzilla%20web%20im
ages/IMG_5056.jpg

Regards,