Re: [TCML] line feed/generator feed neutral/grnd ?

Hi David,

Even though the white and green wires terminate at the same place  in the
main panel, they have two very different functions. They just both happen  to be
earth grounded, so they are connected to the same terminal but still have
different functions. The white, or neutral wire is a current carrying conductor
meant to complete the power circuit, while the green, or grounding wire's
purpose is safety, by providing a lower resistance path to ground than you  are.

Normally, the green wire carries NO current...unless there is a  leakage path
or a ground fault, such as the "hot" wire coming in contact with  the case or
chassis of a piece of equipment. Then the fault current will be  conducted to
earth ground through the green wire, instead of your body if you  happen to
touch it. The neutral wire can actually be quite a few volts above  ground if
the wire is long and the load high, especially during a fault  condition. The
green wire is also a reference to ground for GFCI's and provides  a dedicated
wire straight back to earth ground for maximum protection from  electrocution.

The only place the white and green should be connected together is at the
main disconnect panel, and the white should never be used for both a neutral
wire and a grounding wire if the grounding wire is not present.

Tony Greer

In a message dated 8/28/2008 12:02:52 P.M. Central  Daylight Time,