Re: [TCML] Camcorder Gap Syncronizing

Hey Jeff...

using a strobe on the spinning part in the lathe would require that the strobe and rpm's of the lathe be "in sync". Lets say the lathe is spinning at 600 rpm. the strobe would have to flash at 10 pulses per second to be able to " capture" the same spot on the work to make it look as if it is standing still. A very disconcerting optical illusion. One HAS to remember that the part is spinning!! An adjustable speed strobe would be perfect for a situation of that nature, set up the lathe speed needed and then adjust the strobe to a point as to where the shaft "slows down or stops" .

Scot D

Jeff Behary wrote:

David,

I've had this happen by accident with a stationary gap! http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2007/ExtensionlessPointLimitlessPlane/EPLPMovie.wmv

About 14 seconds into the movie, the spark in the spark gap disappears!  The camera only caught the reflection of the spark on the shiny metal pieces!  I guess it was somehow in sync with the 30 frames a second...
I didn't even notice in putting the clips together until after the movie was made.

I always wondered if you could use a strobe light when working on a lathe to check the finish of parts, while they are spinning.  I'm not sure though, is what you see when the motion "stops" the actual object (as it would be if stopped) or is it just an optical illusion of sorts?

Jeff

____