Re: [TCML] Capacitor Conundrum

in physics, there is really no such thing as a monopole capacitor.  The
electrostatic lines extend to infinity by definition and the math involved
(guage field theory).  Even an isotropic capacitance such as a toroid, has
electrostatic field lines extending to ground, building walls, etc.

Yes, in your experiment if you extended the plates a distance the field
lines (charge at a given point along a particular line) would appear to be
weaker as the stored energy is integrated over the total volume of the
space, and upon returning the plates to close proximity they would retain
their charge.

Dr. Resonance