RE: [TCML] Capacitor Conundrum

Hey Tony,

There was an interesting test to try this (well, not the vacuum part).  They used to make Leyden jar pairs with removable metal "cans" for the inside and out.  You can charge one jar with DC/static, and disassemble it.  Swap the metal pieces of the two leyden jars.  The new jar with the previously "charged" metal plates will show no sign of life.  The old jar, with the new "uncharged" metal plates will still knock you on your rear end!   (This is where the proper leyden jar dischargers come into play, the ones with a nice insulating handle!)

I use "charge" and "uncharged" here incorrectly, but purposely, because really it was the glass jar itself that held the charge, the metal plates were only a way of extracting or utilising it.  Its a fun experiment to try.   Its amazing how much charge even a small leyden jar will hold.  You really must be careful with them.

Now, I am thinking, high vacuum...

High vacuum X-Ray tubes and Crookes Tubes will hold a charge.  I've reached for them after tests and nearly dropped them because of this little "surprise".  Even if you power them from a small Tesla Coil.  There's a little known subject all together of X-Ray tubes and static accumulation during operation.  It gets complicated.  Even a tube powered by a high frequency coil or induction coil can hold a static charge depending on how the electrodes look inside of the tube - two electrodes of large surface area will form a tiny capacitor, but a large surface area and a small surface area (or a point) will form a little rectifier. (point-plane or point-plate, however its called).  (The early rectifiers for X-Ray machines were just this - many produced as many X-Rays as the tubes they were meant to operate!)

Off hand, I can remember only one author that made reference to static charges and tubes, I think it was Kaye, but I don't remember exactly.   If I can dig up the book, it might have a good explanation of how that works...

Jeff