Re: [TCML] Looking for feedback

Steve,

discard my last posting: it was sent by mistake! Sorry to all.

Phasing an SRSG is not best, when aligning it for firing at peak voltage of the transformer input sine wave of the mains power: the best point is somewhere else, for 60Hz/120 BPS, see i.e.:

http://twfpowerelectronics.com/~kurt/UBTT/UpriC_sim_oszi1304.jpg
(for 50Hz/100BPS)

In order to understand rotaries, I highly recommend reading (and understanding) Ritchie Burnetts chapters to the topic, on his excellent site:

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/indkick.html#kick about inductive kick.
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/rotary.html  about rotaries in general
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/async.html   about ASRSG's.
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/offset.html  about more elaborate SRSG's.

For the pre-aligning SRSG procedures, Finn Hammer has docomented a really convincing method for practice:

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/museum/setup/setup.htm

...which can also be used for gaps, firing with less than just 3 firings per halfwave of the mains supply. Well..., if it's only 120 BPS (= _one_ firing per half-cycle) it can obviously also be done the "trial and error" way. But in that case, it is a real convenience to take the time, building an electrical phase controller, as realized by John Freau, in order not having to deal with mechanical adjustment of the phase, again:

http://futuret.110mb.com/

The beginning adjustments should better be performed at less the full power.

Best regards,
Kurt

Stephen J. Hobley wrote:
We recently replaced a static spark gap in our coil with a
synchronous rotary running at 120bps (30rpm * 4 bangs per turn). You
can see a movie of the before and after here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iylUg_eGk6I
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iylUg_eGk6I>

At the moment the rotary is not delivering the performance we
expected. I believe this is due to a sync problem with the 60Hz
supply.

Based on the movie I'd be interested to get constructive feedback
from more experienced coilers...

Thanks,
Steve