[TCML] The bigger they are...

8.8.08
Signal Hill, California

In November of 2007, Oct East Ltd. of the People's Republic of China hired kVA Effects to construct two Giant Tesla Coils that would be the largest in the World. These coils were to be permanently installed at the OCT East Water Park in Shenzhen China in time for the Olympics.

In mid April 2008, kVA Effects shipped two ocean containers to China which contained approximately 40,000lbs. of handmade Tesla Coil components necessary to construct the two Giant Tesla Coils.

Upon arrival, the Shenzhen Customs and Inspections Bureau seized both containers and trucks claiming that kVA Effects falsified international shipping documents as the shipment had originated from Hamburg Germany and not the United States of America as indicated. Furthermore, the Inspections Bureau claimed that the shipment consisted of used equipment in violation of Chinese law and the contract with OCT East.

kVA Effects responded by providing the Inspection Bureau with five hundred construction photographs, one hundred and two hours of construction video, copies of material receipts and signed affidavits from kVA Effects personnel and vendors to verify that the equipment is new. kVA Effects also informed the Inspection Bureau that the name of the cargo vessel that carried the containers to China is named "Hamburg" and that they found it curious how Chinese Officials could make such a mistake on an official Chinese form in Chinese.

The Inspection Bureau imposed a fine of approximately 1,000,000 Yuan and claimed it would increase each day of captivity. kVA Effects refused to pay any fines claiming it would be counter to its contract with OCT East and, because they felt the action rose to the level of extortion, the United States Department of State should be informed.

In late July, the Inspections Bureau released the Tesla Coil parts to OCT East. OCT East is demanding payment of the fines from kVA Effects counter to its contract with them.

As of Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics, OCT East has the merchandise and kVA Effects will watch the games from home.

Jeff W. Parisse

Epilogue

We don't play the extortion/bribe game even if it is a cultural norm in the third World.

Sam Barros is off project and now has a new job with an alternative energy firm in New Jersey.  Justin Hayes takes his place and is now official second engineer and road dawg deluxe.

Since the China project is over, we will be moving from the huge Signal Hill shop to Bill Wysock's airplane hangar. It'll be great to have everything in one shop for a change!

Criss Angel's show starts in October at the Luxor Las Vegas. I've been invited to a pre-screening for friends and family in September so I'll report back on how cool the show is (how could it now be? From what we've seen over the last few months, it is going to be killer - Justin Hayes engineered the "special" part!).

Subscribe to our YouTube Channel so you can get the new videos we have coming up this summer. We have a time lapse of our coil winding method that we hope will pay back the pupman community for our "insurance company imposed silence" over the last twelve years! Don't ask because we can't tell. but if you like to watch.  ;-) Search kvaeffects