Re: [TCML] On a scale of one to ten...

hi all,

Just something I've been thinking about on this mater recently,  perhaps its
not the high frequency or skin effect (I very much doubt that you could
apply the skin effect to a complex conductor like the human body) but the
average current/energy that actually allows you to (usually) 'not feel'
shocks from tesla coils. Does anyone actually have any data on what the
average current in a streamer/leader from an average coil would be? I
understand that the peak currents may (possibly) be rather high, but perhaps
the average current is low enough not to be noticeable.
Also, most would probably know that if you let a streamer strike your bare
skin, you can certainly feel the point where it hits, but no (or very
little) sensation anywhere else, so perhaps current density also has an
important part to play, in conjuntion with or rather than the high
frequency. This would explain such phenomena as being able to draw arcs to a
firmly gripped screw driver (large surface area of hand= lower current
density) where as streamers hitting skin can be painful (I have only tried
this on small coils, and wouldnt dare even think about it on medium or
bigger, remember Transtrom!), as the streamer only actually hits a small
area of your skin, therefor a higher current density.
Any thoughts?

Cheers
Jesse Frost