Re: [TCML] New 833C VTTC - poor performance

D.C., list,

"check to be sure the TDK tank cap is rated for RF current and is not a DC
filter type cap."

As Garry mentioned, it is not specifically stated in the spec sheet, but it seems implied. Besides, this is the same capacitor that Steve used on his 833 coil and had much better success than I am having.

"you may also have to experiment with the position of the grid leak coil --- sometimes it is necessary to have it 6-10" up the sec coil for best
results."

I have already done this. It is at about 9" up the secondary.

"measure your grid drive current to be sure you are driving the 833 properly."

This may be the problem. I am having nothing but problems with this "homebrew" filament transformer. I am without a means to test the current at the moment. I would assume it is at at least 10A. It is a 1200V MOT with the secondary and shunts removed. New secondary wound with 12 gauge for 10 volts out. It must be eating up some power, judging by its temperature after about 10 minutes, but could it be enough to bring the current down below 10A?