Re: [TCML] pole pig minus case

Hi Jorge,

There is one issue that comes to mind if you decide to use
a cooler to house your pig, besides the plastic being able
to withstand the oil. Most coolers are thermally insulated,
which is a good thing for keeping your drinks, cold cuts, ect.,
cold, but would not be too good for housing a well loaded
pole transformer in! In this case you do not want to main-
tain the thermal imbalance - you want to let the generated
heat escape, not keep it in. Of course most coilers probably
aren't going to be running their coils for long enough uninterrupted
runs that this would really matter with a robust pole pig, though.

As far as finding a suitable oil source, I'm not sure how it is in
Mexico, but here in the USA, you can look up any major oil
company's local branch distribution center if you are in or
near a reasonably large city and they will usually sell transformer
oil in either 5 gallon buckets or 55 gallon drums. Shell has Shell
Diala oil and I think Exxon's transformer oil is called Univolt. On
the other hand, if I recall correctly, all petroleum products in
Mexico are sold by the government ran Pemex, so you may try
contacting them. Otherwise, you're going to have to buy a whole
bunch of bottles of baby oil to properly "fill" your transformer and
I'm not sure that I wlould trust the dielectric intergrity of sented
baby oil! Others have also mentioned that you can get pure
unscented mineral oil from a farm supply coop or some health
food stores in one gallon jugs, at least here in the US.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jorge Fuentes" <jorgefuentescastillo@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] pole pig minus case

lol! true, true!

I'll start looking out for a good case to pack the pig in then. A cooler is
a nice idea, never thought of that,
but will the plastic or pvc plastic withstand the mineral oil, or will it
degrade over time?
I haven't found a source for the mineral oil locally other than the baby
oil, i'll keep an eye out. I'll post follow-ups
see what i can come up with.

thanks all for the helpful comments!