Re: [TCML] Safety gap firing - (JAVATC Questions)

In a message dated 4/22/2008 6:27:12 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
otmaskin5@xxxxxxx writes:

>You know, DC mentioned he doesn't even use a safety gap in this  type of
situation. He's right in the >fact that the main gap clamps the  voltage. The
only time the safety gap needs to fire is during some  >unforeseen catastrophe
with the main gap. We seem to get worked up over  the safety gap >unnecessarily.
I still think it's a good idea, but it  should not be so close as to prevent
the main gap >from performing it's  function consistently.

>Bart

Bart,

Safety gaps may have  become popular by being used with rotary  gap systems
in which
they are more important for various reasons.  As you said, one can  never be
too cautious
with these coils, so even for a main static gap, it's nice to have a  safety
gap even if it's
not totally needed.  I usually haven't bothered with safety gaps for  static
gap systems.

John

listings at AOL Autos.