From: "Tedd Payne" <teddp2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 8:52 PM
Subject: [TCML] Windings Repair - Should This Work? Is There a Better Way?

Hi,

I'm trying to solve a problem with a spark coil, but maybe the solution
could also benefit coilers in some way.

I've exposed a small section of the outer layer of the high voltage
secondary winding.  The wire is very small, I can barely see the individual
strands.  Here's the problem:  3 or 4 of the strands are broken and I'd like
to repair them.  I'm not trying to reconnect individual broken pairs, I
think it would be good enough to just "short" all the broken ends together.
I don't think I can use a blob of hot solder because I don't think I can
adequately prepare the ends to bond to the solder, and I don't want to risk
heat damage to the surrounding area.  Also, access to the wires is limited,
kind of like in a hole.  I don't think I want to use a conductive paint or
glue, because if it doesn't work then I may have made things worse by adding
something which would be hard or impossible to remove.  Here's my idea:  use
finely powdered silver or copper to try to fill the area around the breaks,
maybe using a little liquid carrier which would evaporate cleanly.  My
thought is that enough powder would allow electrical contact among all the
broken ends.  If that works, then I would probably seal the repaired area in
some way.

So, do you think the powder would work?  Do you have a better idea?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Tedd