Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:39 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] First light (maybe second light) on mid-sized coil

Hi David,

I think there is nothing abnormal with what you described. It's just not a healthy thing to do. I haven't tried it myself, but if the Variac is adjusted to just below the point of firing, it means that the transformer is constantly charging and discharging the cap to just below the firing voltage, but since the gap never fires, that energy is constantly being traded between voltage on the cap and current in the transformer secondary, likely to the point of core saturation and ferroresonance. If the Variac were just a bit higher, the gap would fire and the capacitor energy from each charging cycle would have a place to exit rather than causing the high current and avoid this problem.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA